If you live in Chicago surely you have seen marathon runners zooming past you with numbers on their stomachs. Maybe you are one of those intense runners. Either way, we wanted to once again cater to our Chicago residents and post the upcoming marathons taking place in the city. If you plan on being a marathon runner in one of these races or will cheer people on, let us know!
1. Bastille Day 5K and 8K Run: Thursday July 11th. 8K starts at 7:15pm and 5K starts at 7:30pm at Lincoln Park (Cannon & Fullerton). All proceeds go to Mercy Home for Boys and Girls.
2. Miles for Melanoma Chicago- Teb’s Troops: A fun marathon where the proceeds help fund new treatments, education, and advocacy for melanoma. They provide on-site skin checks, sun screen samples, and more. Also, the first 200 registrants get bags packed with free stuff. That should give you motivation to try this marathon! Marathon is July 13th at 9am, more details on the website.
3. 2013 Chicago Chinatown 5K and Youth Run: This seems like a really fun marathon! On July 13th at 8am there is a marathon where you can explore Chinatown. The race starts at Chinatown square avenue and there is even a kids run for children ages 6-11. There is a 200 meter race for ages 6-8 and a quarter mile for ages 9-11; kids run starts at 9 and begins along archer avenue.
4. higi Home Team Charity Run: July 14th and starts at 8am, for 10K, and 8:15am for the 5K. CARA offers an 8-week training program prior to the run. The marathon starts outside US Cellular Field and the 10K is running only but the 5K running and walking is allowed.
5. Run! To end Homelessness: July 14th at 8am in Douglas park. There is a live aid concert to end homelessness and proceeds go to A Safe Haven Foundation.
6. Burgers and Beer 5K: This is one marathon I think I’m going to do! It is July 15th at 7pm and check in is from 5-6:30pm at the park at Lakeshore East. There is an after party with music, raffles, awards, and an on-site DJ. What I’m most excited for is that all participants receive one complimentary Goose Island 312 can of beer and one professional catered burger with all the fixings! What better reward for running a 5K than burgers and beer?
7. 4th Annual Strike Out ALS 5K: Tuesday July 16th at US Cellular Field at 6:30pm. For the after party you can watch the Baseball All-Star game in the stadium.
8. Run for the Kids: Thursday July 18th at 6:30pm at Stadium Green/Soldier Field (1600 S. Museum Campus Dr. Chicago, IL). The proceeds go towards children’s hospitals and children affected by the Sandy Hook and Boston Marathon tragedies.
9. Rock N’ Rll 1/2 Marathon: Advertisements for this marathon have been posted a lot so it must be good. The marathon takes place on July 21st at 6:30am and there also is a 5K mini marathon.
10. AVMA Trails for Tails 5K Run/Walk: On Sunday July 21st at 7am grab your pets and head over to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. This marathon supports local animal shelters and you can walk the marathon with your pets as long as they are on a leash!
11. 11th Annual Run for Gus 5K Run/ 1 Mile Walk: An event on July 25th at 7pm that raises funds for pediatric brain tumor research. There is an after party at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
12. BTN Big 10K: Another marathon I want to try but it’s a pretty long one too! On July 27th at 7am there is a marathon where people dress in their favorite big ten school colors. Come join them and race! After the race there is a FanFest and Tailgate party. Fanfest is an after party packed with mascots, cheerleaders, food, music, beer, and former Big Ten Player appearances. So if you’ve got school spirit I would definitely recommend this marathon.
13. Bring the Movement 5K: July 28th at 7:30 am at River Park (Argyle St. & Francisco Ave. Chicago, IL). The marathon helps bring awareness and funding for Arts Education in Chicago schools.
14. The Biggest Loser Run/Walk Chicago 15K/5K/1 Mile Kids Run: August 4th at 8am and starts at Soldier Field. Receive a goody bag with The Biggest Loser Finisher’s Medal, commemorative technical T-Shirt, drawstring backpack, and more!
15. Sweet Summer 5K & 15K: August 4th at 7am, for 5K, and 7:15am for 15K. The races start at the front of Navy Pier and there will be brunch with mimosas for finishers and a sweet summer festival!
16. ZOOMA Chicago: August 10th at 7am on Montrose harbor. It is a women’s fitness half marathon 10k. Afterwards you can celebrate with wine, messages, live music, shopping, and more!
17. Chicago 10K: One of the biggest marathon in the city takes place on August 11th at 8am in Grant Park. Participants will receive a shirt, metal, bib number, and tons of other goodies!
18. Lymphomathon 5K Walk: Sunday August 11th at 4400 N. Lake Shore Drive (Montrose Harbor) Chicago, IL. Registration opens at 8:30 am and the event starts at 10am. The marathon benefits Lymphoma Research Foundation all the proceeds go towards finding the cure for lymphoma.
19. Elvis is Alive 5K: This is a very unique marathon. It takes place on August 15th at Grant Park and it is a non-competitive race that features an “All-Elvis” start corral. After the race there is a live Elvis musical performance, beer, and more.
I know this a long post with a lot of marathons but we encourage you to register or just come and cheer the runners on! If you do participate please let us know how your experience was, we’d love to feature you on our site!