My co-workers who are very knowledgeable about Mediterranean food have been raving about how great shawarma is. I’ve realized that a
lot of Mediterranean foods have names that are funny to say, and my new favorite food name is shawarma. For those who have not tasted shawarma before (including myself), myrecipes.com has a tasty chicken shawarma recipe with great reviews. Of course, that means I have to share it with you! The chicken is also flavored with a “savory yogurt sauce.”
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Remaining ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.
- Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.
If you try this recipe let us know! Also, if you have tried shawarma what do you think about it and what are your favorite recipes? Please share your thoughts!